With stunningly beautiful natural settings and charming rustic ambiance, it's no wonder that couples are looking to picturesque wineries and vineyards for their wedding festivities. If you are considering a winery wedding, take the time to ponder a few wedding planning concerns unique to a vineyard venue.
- Consider the seasons. Do you envision the lush green vines of summer, the glorious orange and red autumn hues or a winter white snowscape? Bountiful hanging grapes make for a beautiful backdrop, but only until the late summer harvest!
- Is your venue full service---that is, will your fee include essentials such as plates, linens, tables, chairs and tents or will you need to hire your own vendors? Wineries that specialize in weddings and other events will even provide event planning specialists to assist in all elements of your big day.
- Does the winery have an on-site caterer? If not, is there a commercial kitchen or will your caterers bring in prepared food?
- Does the venue hold a liquor license that will permit you to serve other than wine and beer?
- Are there noise restrictions? If your reception is outdoors, some areas may require that you turn down the volume after a certain hour.
- Is there a backup plan for inclement weather? Hope for the best, but if Mother Nature rains down upon your ceremony, be sure that your venue includes indoor space sufficient for your guest list.
- Your outdoor ceremony will be stunning...but keep in mind that you may be traipsing along dirt paths, grassy lawns and pebble walks. Consider flats or sandals and perhaps opt for short or cocktail length attire for your attendants. A fun and thoughtful extra: offer colorful, inexpensive flipflops for your guests.
- Give your friends and family a hint of what's to come with your wedding stationery. There is a wide selection of vineyard-themed save the dates and invitations. Be sure to add a note to your invitations so that your guests know it's "vineyard formal"—leave those stiletto heels at home!
- Match your wedding décor to the rustic beauty of your venue. Pretty vintage elements or neutral elements pair nicely with rustic wood barrels and farm tables.
DelFosse Vineyards and Winery in Faber (30 minutes south of Charlottesville) offers incredible vineyard and Blue Ridge Mountain views. Choose one of three beautiful ceremony locations: a hilltop lawn overlooking the scenic vista; an intimate ceremony on the porch of a restored log cabin; or a lovely glass-enclosed tasting room. In-house catering offers a fully customized menu.
Check out this styled session and preferred vendor post highlighting DelFosse Winery!
Blue Valley Vineyard and Winery in Delaplane sits on 100 acres featuring both indoor and outdoor spaces. There's even a cascading waterfall in the foyer! The Grand Room's floor to ceiling windows provide panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hold your ceremony on the Veranda Patio or Sunset Terrace.
Check out this sweet Blue Valley Vineyard engagement session!
Enjoy the rustic elegance of The Stable at Bluemont Vineyard in Bluemont. Breathtaking views provide a stunning backdrop for your outdoor ceremony. Exceptional farm-to-table cuisine is provided by their catering partner Savoir Fare.
Check out this beautiful engagement session I photographed at Bluemont Vineyard!
Early Mountain, with its expansive acres of lush vegetation, soaring views of the nearby Blue Ridge mountains, and beautifully remodeled buildings is sure to meet and exceed all of your and your guests’ expectations, helping you to create a wedding to remember.
Be sure to view this preferred vendor post featuring Early Mountain!
"Spectacular indoor and outdoor spaces make King Family Vineyards a versatile & accommodating year-round venue for your wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, guests will enjoy panoramic mountain views, a charming Carriage House, and award-winning wines. We offer a wide variety of welcoming and relaxing spaces that can accommodate both intimate family weddings or larger celebrations for up to 200 of your closest family and friends." - King Family Vineyards
Bridal Details Checklist
Unsure of which items to bring for your bridal detail photos? Grab my free guide to make sure you come prepared for your photographer to capture all of those little details.